127 km, 4,700 metres in altitude, demanding climbs in the middle of numerous 4,000-metre peaks. The Stoneman Glaciara offers you a very special challenge.
As always: You choose your starting point yourself – the way it suits you best. You are also completely free to pick the date of your trip during the season.
12 tips for your gold tour (1 day) on the Stoneman Glaciara Mountainbike
- It is best to ride in the weeks between June and August. During this period the daily sunshine lasts at least 13.5 hours.
- Start right after sunrise and only if you are physically and mentally completely fit.
- Before you start, take a close look at the route map in your starter pack and read the stage descriptions. Memorize the hazard zones in particular!
- Check the weather forecast and bring appropriate clothing. Remember, you will be riding at an altitude of over 2,000 metres. There it is up to 12° C colder than in the valley in the same weather. Remember: the weather can change quickly in the Alps!
- Check your bike and all components very carefully. The route map in the starter pack containes instructions for your bike check.
- Despite the dense signposting, use a GPS device with the current GPS track as a precaution. This way you won't lose any time if you miss a sign.
- You will receive the latest GPS track with your starter package reservation by e-mail three days prior to your start or on site at the official issuing offices and lodging partners.
- Take enough water and food with you. Be sure to refill your water reserves whenever possible. Maybe the next water station is temporarily unavailable..
- Take your time to read the information board at the checkpoints. That way you can relax, pause for a moment and prepare for the next stage.
- Inform your official issuing office if you return later than planned or have to cancel. You will find the phone number on the route map in your starter package.
- Choose your starting point without the Breithorn being your last checkpoint. Take a whistle with you if you're riding alone!
- The Stoneman Glaciara should not to be underestimated: For gold, your annual mileage should be at least 5,000 bicycle km.
Ready for Gold?
Stoneman Glaciara season 2023: 23. June to 22. October
Brief feedback on the Stoneman: Incredible landscape, great trails, perfectly organised, but most of all – the people. From the local sports shops and accommodation to the tourism office in Reckingen, our expectations were exceeded. The hospitality, helpfulness and heartiness of the locals in the Aletsch area were truly our highlight.
Raphael W. · 8/2017 · Silver