Thorough preparation is the key to your MTB adventure on the Stoneman Glaciara.
Whether in one, two or three days – the Stoneman Glaciara is a unique experience in any case.
You decide where to start – just as it suits you best. You are entirely free to choose the date for your ride within the season.
Finally: The Stoneman Glaciara Mountain Bike season 2018 starts on June 15!
The Stoneman Glaciara is located in the canton Valais in southeast Switzerland.
The route crosses the principal road 19 in the West close to Mörel and in the North-East in Reckingen. The distance within the Rhone valley is 22.5 km.
- North-to-south extension: ca. 10.5 km
- West-to-east extension: ca. 16.5 km
The Stoneman Glaciara route is perfectly signposted. The signslead you securely. They are placed at every crossing or conjunction and again 100 to 200 meters behind for confirmation.
If you are going for Gold, please use a GPS device with the latest GPS Track.
Each starter pack contains a detailed route map (77 x 70 cm) with details on the characteristics of each stage.
Out of consideration for the landscape and wildlife, the Stoneman Glaciara can only be ridden in daylight. During the season, this includes the following times:
- June: 7.00 am–9.30 pm (14.30 hrs)
- July: 7.00 am–9.00 pm (14.00 hrs)
- August: 7.00 am–8.30 pm (13.30 hrs)
- September: 7.30 am–7.30 pm (12.00 hrs)
- October: 8.30 am –6.30 pm (10.00 hrs)
- November: 8.00 am–5.00 pm (9.00 hrs)
From September on, Gold can only be achieved by highly experienced riders.
Ambitious 127 km and 4,700 m altitude gain.
The Stoneman Glaciara packs a punch – in terms of technique and fitness! Regarding riding technique, most passages are between S0 and S2 with a few S3- and push passages. Gold is therefore only attainable for very experienced and conditionally fit bikers. If in doubt, take your time for your first ride and try Silver or Bronze first.
- We recommend riding during the period between June and August, when there are at least 13 hours of sunshine per day.
- Start directly at sunrise and only if you feel physically and mentally fit.
- Choose your starting point so that the Breithorn won't be your last checkpoint.
- Even though the route is well signposted, we recommend using a GPS device with the current GPS Track. That way, you won't lose time in case you miss a sign.
- The Stoneman Glaciara is not to be underestimated: If you strive for Gold, your annual training should comprise at least 5,000 km on the bike.
For Silver and Bronze riders, we recommend the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn. It stops at: Mörel · Betten Talstation · Grengiols · Lax · Fiesch Sport- + Feriencenter · Fiesch ·
Fürgangen-Bellwald Talstation · Niederwald · Blitzingen · Biel (Goms) · Gluringen · Reckingen.
The train leaves every hour between 6.33 am and 9.33 pm from Mörel towards Reckingen, in the opposite direction every hour between 6.29 am and 8.29 pm, as well as at 9.10 pm and 11.06 pm.
0%Kopfstein, grober Asphalt
The following passages are dangerous. Please consider them when planning your ride.
Stoneman Glaciara season 2018: 15 June to late october/early november
Brief feedback on the Stoneman: Incredible landscape, great trails, perfectly organised, but most of all – the people. From the local sports shops and accommodation to the tourism office in Reckingen, our expectations were exceeded. The hospitality, helpfulness and heartiness of the locals in the Aletsch area were truly our highlight.
Raphael W. · 8/2017 · Silver